This locomotive was built in 1955 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the Northumberland Area of the National Coal Board (NCB). It was originally used at Backworth Colliery near Whitley Bay where it had a royal blue livery and carried the number 47.
It later moved to Whittle Colliery at Felton where it remained until it was sold for preservation in 1973.
The locomotive steamed on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway where it acquired the name Moorbarrow. Moorbarrow is the fictitous name of Goathland Station in books and plays by Pat Wilson. By 1981 the locomotive was stored out of use.
The locomotive subsequently had quite a nomadic life and having spent time at a number of heritage railways including the East Somerset Railway and the Embsay & Bolton abbey Steam Railway.
In December 2015 the locomotive moved to the Gwili Railway where it operated for some time.
In February 2019 it was reported that the boiler had been removed for its ten year overhaul. The boiler was transported to McEwans in Yorkshire whilst the rest of the work on the ten year overhaul is being undertaken in the workshop of the Gwili Railway.
At some time before September 2022 the locomotive was returned to traffic on the Gwili Railway.