This locomotive was built in 1909 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn of Darlington, Works Number 3377, for Lambton Collieries, which in 1924 became Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Collieries (LH & JC). No. 5 was employed all its working life hauling coal transfer trains over the colliery main lines around Wearside.
The LH &JC railway system was extensive, and the locomotives had running rights over main lines in the area. This enabled them to work from the pitheads to the quayside coal staithes at Sunderland.
It was withdrawn from service in 1969, when steam operating on the system ceased, and acquired by the fledgling North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) and went almost immediately back into service hauling passenger trains and works trains, and undertaking shunting duties.
At present the locomotive is in store at Grosmont on the NYMR.
|3377 approaching Goatland on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway – October 1978|