This locomotive was built by Sentinel in 1952 and delivered new to the Chesterfield Tube Co. Ltd at Chesterfield along with Works No 9536.
Both engines were named after the children of the works marketing director with 9536 became Timothy and 9537 Susan.
They were built to a late Sentinel design which incorporating improvements over previous designs of this type. These included a rear bunker of larger capacity, a larger water tank of fabricated construction, and the ability to change gear without leaving the locomotive cab, but it had to be stationary when so doing.
In 1965 9537 was sold into preservation to Mr. J. Morris of Lytham St. Annes, and exhibited in his Motive Power Museum.
It was later sold to a Quainton Railway Society member and moved to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton in 1984.
It was quickly restored to steam at Quainton and ran frequently at open days.
In 1986 the locomotive was sold to another Quainton Railway Society member
Before long it was steaming again, running frequently on open days. She was sold again to another Quainton member in 1986.
In 1993 it was returned to service once again after being re-tubed
The locomotive was bought by John Buxton with the intention of running it on the Barry Tourist Railway.
In April 2014 the locomotive moved to the South Devon Railway for a ten year overhaul which included the wheels, axleboxes, boiler and main steam engine work being undertaken by South Devon Railway Engineering.
The locomotive arrived at the Barry Tourist Railway in August 2015 where it is currently operational.
In April 2019 the Barry Tourist Railway declared its first trial with a biomass-based coal substitute which was undertaken using 9537.