This locomotive was built by Sentinel in 1955 for Courtaulds and at some date joined Sentinel Works No 9599 at Courtaulds Fibres at Great Coates in Grimsby.
After being stored following the introduction of diesel locomotives both Sentinel locomotives were sold in the 1980s.
9596 went to the South Yorkshire Railway (SYR), where lack of covered accommodation and insufficient resources to proceed with restoration resulted in a steady deterioration in its condition.
At some time it was sold to a member of the Rutland Railway Museum, a start was made, collecting parts that had been misplaced or stolen whilst at SYR.
The locomotive was then sold privately once again and moved to the Elsecar Heritage Railway where some preliminary work was undertaken to determine the extent of superstructure replacement required.
In the summer of 2010 the owner put the locomotive up for sale as he could see no likelihood of making an early start on its restoration.
The locomotive was purchased by Mervyn Maynes and Vic Ward and moved it to an old goods yard at Yaxham which is owned by Mervyn Maynes.
By early 2021 extensive work had been undertaken on the locomotive which is being restored to full working order.