The Crampton Locomotive Trust (CLT) aims to build a replica of the first of three Crampton locomotives built for the South Eastern Railway by the Whitehaven firm of Tulk & Ley in 1847.
No drawings of the of the design exist as they are believed to have been destroyed in a fire at the Lowca Works of Tulk & Ley in 1912. The only Crampton locomotive which survives is the 1852 engine (Le Continent) which is in France. A replica of a German locomotive (Die Pfalz) built in 1920 is preserved in Germany.
The CLT has spent two years organising itself and has started raising funds for the project with the first task being to produce a set of working drawings.