This company was formed in December 1865 and was made up of the –
- Haigh, Aspull and Holland collieries of the Earl of Crawford & Balcarres
- Standish & Shevington Coal & Cannel Co.
- Broomfield and Langtree collieries of Alfred Hewlett
- Collieries and ironworks of the Kirkless Hall Coal & Iron Company.
In January 1866 John Taylor’s collieries at Standish were absorbed into the company which made the Wigan Coal & Iron Co. Ltd the largest joint stock company in Britain.
Many of the collieries who were formed into the company had built their own locomotives but following the amalgamation locomotives were built at the main workshops at Kirkless. Wigan.
They continued to be built locomotives through the 19th century locomotives including some built by other contractors to their design. This included Nasmyth, Wilson & Co who built four locomotives between 1892 and 1902 although they built very many more locomotives at their Patricroft factory for export.
The Wigan Coal & Iron Co Ltd ceased building locomotives around 1912.
Industrial Locomotives Preserved
|1887||Lindsay||0-6-0ST||West Coast Railways|