6046 was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1945 and transported to France.
After its use in France came to an end it was used in Hungary where it was classified as the MAV 411 class by the Hungarian State Railways, and became 411.144.
The locomotive spent the majority of its working life on industrial lines, before being withdrawn. It was formally preserved as part of the Hungarian National Collection, however due to an administrative error it was sent for scrap.
The engine was saved from the cutters torch by Martin Haines who brought it to the UK with the intention of restoring it. After 6046 arrived in Britain as a complete locomotive it was sent to Tyseley where its restoration began.
Eventually though 6046 was sold to Greg Wilson who moved its kit of parts to the Churnet Valley Railway (CVR), who then restarted the restoration work in 2006.
In June 2012, 6046 was steamed and moved under own power for the first time on British metals. Since then it has proved to be a reliable performer, working at both the CVR and North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) with a visit to the West Somerset in 2013.
In 2014 however, whilst on hire to the Nene Valley it suffered a damaged cylinder block, that required a full replacement. Repairs were completed at Tyseley, and the locomotive returned to traffic in February 2016 on the NYMR where it was on hire to until November 2016.
In February 2017 it double headed on the Churnet Valley Railway with classmate 5197. This is the first time in over 70 years that two locomotives of this class have operated together in Britain.
6046 is scheduled to spend the period between March 2018 and January 2019 based on the West Somerset Railway.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Churnet Valley Railway||Operational||Greg Wilson|