This locomotive was constructed in 1945, to a Hunslet Engine Company design, at Vulcan Foundry in 1945.. When new, it went straight into store at Longmoor as WD 5319, later WD 75319
See LNER class J94 for details.
After the Second World War it was sold to the National Coal Board (NCB) and became No 72 based at Easington Colliery in County Durham.
The pit which was originally sunk in 1899 but the first coal was not extracted until 1910. In 1951 81 men died in the pit following an explosion underground. The colliery closed in 1993 with the loss of 1,400 jobs.
The locomotive appears not to have been in service in preservation until its restoration was completed at Llangollen in 2013.
The privately owned locomotive was then hired to the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway but has subsequently operated at other heritage railways.
During 2018 the locomotive is on hire to Peak Rail.
|5309 at Mangapps Farm Railway – April 2015|