This locomotive was ordered from W G Bagnall in September 1949 by Shell Refining and Marketing Co Ltd. It was delivered new to Trimpell Ltd at Heysham in May 1952.
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
This engine had an unusually high reservoir pressure of 300psi.
Heysham Aviation Fuel Works was established north of the village of Middleton by the Air Ministry in Spring 1939 in anticipation of the forthcoming war. The works were designed to produce high octane aviation fuel for the Royal Air Force (RAF).
The construction and operation of the plant was supervised by a joint venture company called Trimpell Limited which consisting of Trinidad Leaseholders Limited, Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) and Royal Dutch-Shell.
The name Trimpell was formed of initials from the three companies and has been carried on the locomotive at some time.
Once the war had ended the refinery was inactive for a period. The Morecambe Town Council wanted it dismantled as it was considered unsuitable for a seaside resort. However in 1948 the Government sold it to Trimpell.
The locomotive was sold in November 1970 to Lakeside Railway Estates Co Ltd and put in their museum in the former British Railways motive power depot at Carnforth.
It was later moved to Shropshire where a full restoration of the engine commenced in 2006–7 and was completed in January 2011.
The locomotive is now stored at K&J Bownes & Sons in Wallingwells, Nottinghamshire.