This locomotive was built by W G Bagnall in 1929 and delivered new to the Salt End Works of the Distillers Company at Kingston upon Hull. The locomotive cost £1,788 when new.
|Driving Wheels||2ft 9¼ins|
|Boiler Pressure||250psi when charged and 80psi when working|
|Cylinders||Inside – 20in x 18in|
It was a fireless locomotive which means that it had a steam accumulator rather than a boiler and was charged up with steam from a stationary boiler. It also meant that there was no chance of it starting a fire.
The Salt End site was opened in May 1914 when the North Eastern Railway Company built jetties connected to its railway system one mile away at King George Dock. Herbert Green & Co built a plant at Salt End, near Hull, to produce alcohol from fermentation of molasses with subsequent distillation. In 1925 the plant was acquired by the Distillers Company Limited which had been formed in 1877 by a combination of six Scotch whisky distilleries. The distillery at Salt End was bought by BP in 1967.
In May 1952 the engine was given a complete rebuild at the Bagnall Castle Engine Works in Stafford.
By the early 1970s the locomotive was used as a spare at Saltend and in June 1972 it was sold to Proctor & Gamble the soap manufacturer at West Thurrock on the River Thames in Essex. At West Thurrock it was employed alongside an Andrew Barclay fireless locomotive (Works No 1472)
In late 1979 the locomotive moved to the North Norfolk Railway and was put on display at Sheringham station for a number of years.
Around 2004 it moved to a private site at Holt Farm, Broughton Astley, Leicestershire
In September 2008, it moved four miles to Blaby, Leicestershire. Here it was placed on a plinth in a field alongside the Leicester-Birmingham railway line. It was in a semi-derelict and unmaintained manner and was reported that it was to publicise a campaign to re-open Blaby railway station. Peter Thomas who had bought the locomotive said this was not the case and he just liked the engine.
The locomotive is now stored at the Wakes Showground near Blaby, Leicestershire.