This locomotive was built in 1942 by W G Bagnall to help the war effort in ironstone quarries around Northamptonshire.
In 1944 Byfield was transferred to Banbury and was there until 1947 when it was transferred to Kettering where it was renamed Loddington and given the number 2. The locomotive remained in the area for many years until it was sold to Hunt & Co at Hinkley in 1970 which gained it a new livery, blue.
Byfield was rescued from Hinkley by enthusiasts for restoration and use on the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway in the 1980s. It was withdrawn after its boiler expired in 1990. Byfield was then purchased by the Plym Valley Railway and moved to Marsh Mills in 2002.
It is currently having a complete overhaul before it can be used again.