This locomotive was one of a batch of 6 similar locomotives built by W G Bagnall in 1942 for the Staveley Coal and Iron Company to help expand the home produced iron ore industry in Northants. as part of the war effort. Because it was designed to work at slow speed over poorly laid temporary track it was fitted with compensated springs, which distribute the shocks from track irregularities over two axles. This was a feature of many early contractors locomotives, but became less usual later except for quarry lines.
It worked at Lamport Quarries which were connected to the BR Northampton – Market Harborough line.
In 1969 it was purchased by the Leicester Industrial Loco. Group who initially kept it at the C.E.G.B. Leicester power station after which it was moved to the Main Line Steam Trust’s premises at Loughborough.
It was moved to came to Shackerstone on the Battlefield Railway in October 1979 and was put to work in 1981. Lamport’s last days in steam were the Queens Golden Jubilee weekend in 2002.
In March 2013 the Lamport No3 was moved to the East Anglia Railway Museum at Chappel where it is currently being overhauled. Repairs to bunker and cab completed. The main effort is now concentrated on overhauling the boiler including replacing the old steel firebox with a new all welded replacement.