This locomotive was built by W G Bagnall in 1943 for Thomas Firth & John Brown Ltd., Monk Bretton near Barnsley (Yorkshire).
It was the last locomotive built by Bagnall with the Bagnall-Price valve gear.
Firth-Brown Steel who were the owning company for the site undertook work for the Ministry of Supply associated with the production of tanks and armour plating.
After the end of of the Second World War the locomotive was moved by the owners to its Atlas & Norfolk Steel works at Sheffield.
In 1963 the locomotive was sent for scrap ping to George Cohen of Stanningley at Leeds. As it was in good condition and was only small it was used by George Cohen to shunt in the scrapyard before being saved by the Middleton Railway in 1966.
The locomotive spent a number of years on the Middleton Railway including being in working order there in the late 1970’s.
In February 2019 it was reported that the locomotive had been purchased by a Mark Richards who is a driver on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The locomotive was then moved to a private storage site to allow its condition to be investigated although the boiler was moved to Grosmont where it was stripped down.