See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive is an Austerity type locomotive built for the Second World War effort by W G Bagnall in 1944. Bagnall built the locomotive as a sub-contractor to Hunslet Engine Co Ltd. Bagnall built 52 of the 377 that were built for the War Department between 1943 and 1947. This locomotive carried the number WD 75158. The LNER bought some of these locomotives which became the J94 class.
This locomotive spent some time at the Central Ordnance Depot at Hilsea in Hampshire where it was delivered as new in September 1944. It left there in November 1951 when it moved to Sheffield before going to the Central Ammunition Depot at Bramley in Hampshire in April 1955. It stayed at Bramley until November 1958 when it moved to E L Pitt & Co (Coventry) Ltd at Brackley and then the Royal Engineers Bicester Workshops.
It was next deployed at Long Marston until January 1962 when it was sold to the NCB and it moved to the Allerton Bywater Workshops in Yorkshire. It then spent time at the Prince of Wales Colliery at Pontefract and Ackton Hall Colliery at Featherstone.
The NCB bought a number of these locomotives from the War Department as well as buying 77 as new between 1943 and 1964.
The locomotive ended its working life with the NCB at Featherstone Colliery.
It was stored out of use at Ackton Hall from January 1979 until October 1983 when it moved to the Peak Rail at Buxton when it was purchased by a group of Peak Rail members.
It was restored and gained the name The Duke. The restoration of the locomotive was aided financial by the West Derbyshire Council and was completed in 1988.
During preservation it has carried a British Rail livery and number 68012 masquerading as a Class J94. The real 68012 was built by Hunslet Engine Co Ltd and spent some of its life on the Cromford and High Peak Railway in BR days. Bagnall works no 2746 was never owned by British Rail.
The locomotive moved to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in November 2010 and is currently under restoration. Having run for several years on Peak Rail it required further routine boiler work. The 48624 Society (8F Group) are helping to complete this work.
By March 2018 reassembly of the connecting rods and motion was complete and the steam-heating and vacuum pipes had also been refitted. A new bunker had also been fitted. The bunker was fabricated by Locomotive Maintenance Services of Loughborough who were also undertaking the overhaul of the boiler.