See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive is an Austerity type locomotive built for the Second World War effort by W G Bagnall in 1945. Bagnall built the locomotive as a sub-contractor to Hunslet Engine Co Ltd. Bagnall built 52 of the 377 that were built for the War Department between 1943 and 1947. This locomotive carried the numbers WD75254 and WD175. The LNER bought some of these locomotives which became the J94 class.
There is a view that this locomotive may have been built/assembled for Bagnall by Andrew Barclay in Kilmarnock.
The locomotive was delivered new to Kineton Central Ammunition Depot in Warwickshire in May 1945. In July 1945 it moved to Burton Dassett near Kineton in Warwickshire.
Its next move was in May 1946 when it went to the General Stores Sub Depot at Thatcham in Berkshire.
In June 1946 the locomotive was moved to the Engineer Store Depot at Long Marston.
In August 1946 it returned to Burton Dassettwhere it remained until November 1947 when it moved to Kineton again.
The locomotive continued to move – going to the Base Ordnance Depot at Bicester in Oxfordshire in August 1949 and the Central Ordnance Depot at Barby near Rugby in January 1950.
Its next move was to the Central Ammunitions Depot at Bramley in Hampshire in August 1955.
In 1956 the locomotive spent some time under repair by the Hunslet Engine Company before going to the Base Ordnance Depot at Bicester in August 1956 where it was placed in store at the Royal Engineers Workshop.
In July 1959 the locomotive was moved to the Longmoor Military Railway
It was acquired by the NCB from the War Department in 1963, and worked thereafter at Comrie Colliery, Fife. It carried the number NCB Alloa Area No7.
The locomotive was fitted with a new boiler from Andrew Barclay and fitted with a Giesl ejector at Cowdenbeath Workshops.
The locomotive was acquired by the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway in 1985.This Engine returned to traffic after a major overhaul fitted with a Lempor type exhaust to allow poor quality coal to be used and in the livery applied when originally supplied to the MOD.
The locomotive is now repainted and in traffic on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway as a BR liveried J94 and carries the number 68007 although it was never owned by BR.