See LNER class J94 for details.
This locomotive is an Austerity type locomotive built for the Second World War effort by W G Bagnall in 1945. Bagnall built the locomotive as a sub-contractor to Hunslet Engine Co Ltd. Bagnall built 52 of the 377 that were built for the War Department between 1943 and 1947. This locomotive carried the numbers WD75266. The LNER bought some of these locomotives which became the J94 class.
The locomotive was handed over to the Ministry of Supply in June 1945 but remained in store at WG Bahnall until December 1945 when it was moved to the Longmoor Military Railway and became WD75266.
In April 1946 the locomotive was loaned via the Ministry of Fuel & Power to Stakers & Love Ltd at Brandon Pit House Colliery in Meadowfield County Durham.
It is understood that the locomotive acquired the name Gamma in 1964.
By 1967 the locomotive was based at Vane Tempest Colliery at Seaham.
In 1975 it took part in the Stockton and Darlington Railway 150th Anniversary at Shildon where it appeared repainted as 2502/7as a NCB representative.
The locomotive was acquired by the Tanfield Railway but was loaned to the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway, where it carried the name Tanfield, until 1993.
It is now stored at Marley Hill shed on the Tanfield Railway.