This locomotive was built by W G Bagnall as a 14inch saddle tank in 1946 for the Kent Electric Power Company at Littlebrook Power Station, near Dartford. It ran there as Kent No2.
The first power station on the site was the coal-fired Littlebrook A Power Station which opened in 1939. Coal was initially brought to the station by rail, until a riverside pier was completed.
2842 moved to Croydon A Power Station during the mid 1950s. There it shunted coal wagons until purchased privately for preservation in November 1972. During July 1973 it was moved by road to the Mid Hant Railway at Alresford. It was the first locomotive to arrive at the new Mid Hants Railway.
It received minor repairs, but with boiler repairs also needed it remained a static exhibit. In May 1980 number 2 was named Hampshire immediately prior to a period of loan to Tucktonia, a model village in Christchurch, Dorset. The locomotive returned to the Mid Hants Railway in autumn 1982 and later moved on to spend several years at the Avon Valley Railway at Bitton, latterly on display at Warmley.
It is basically complete but suffered some vandalism, and was eventually purchased privately by three members of the same family for restoration to working order at the Foxfield Railway. Number 2 arrived at Foxfield, complete with a graffiti livery, on 23 September 2003.
After an extensive overhaul it entered on the Foxfield Railway in July 2010 and remains based there although it is currently on long term loan to the Chasewater Railway.
|2842 on the Chasewater Railway – March 2012|
|2842 on the Chasewater Railway – March 2014|
|2842 on the Fioxfield Railway – July 2017|