This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1909 and was delivered new to the Clydach Tinplate Works near Swansea of John Player & Sons Ltd.
In 1888 Mr. Player and Mr. Philip Rogers invented a patent tinning machine for the coating of black-plate which became known as the Clydach tinning machine. The process proved to be successful and was installed by the firm in nearly all the South Wales tin-plate works. In 1901 four modern mills were installed.
The foundry and tinplate works was out of use by the 1970s and the locomotivelay out of use for many years. In 1984 it passed to Kidwelly Industrial Museum which is on the site of the former Tinplate Works which closed in 1941.
The locomotive is still at the Kidwelly Industrial Museum although by 2010 it was looking rusty under a tarpaulin cover.
|1081 at Players, Clydach, Glamorgan – April 1973|