This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co for the Ministry of Munitions, Houston, Georgetown, near Paisley. It was sold to the Lothian Coal Company in 1919 and worked the remainder of its long service at Newbattle Colliery, also known as Lady Victoria Colliery, at Newtongrange, Midlothian. In 1947, ownership passed to the National Coal Board, Area 2 (Lothians). The locomotive remained at Newbattle and retained its running number 3 throughout its service.
In 1978 the locomotive was donated by the National Coal Board to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society.
It was not named during its working life, and acquired its present name in 1988 when at the Glasgow Garden Festival, displayed by Falkirk District Council. Lady Victoria Colliery is now the site of the Scottish Mining Museum.
The locomotive is kept at the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway where it is awaiting restoration.
|1458 on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway – June 2014|