This locomotive was delivered new by Andrew Barclay in 1926 to the Southall Gas Works as No.4. It was only named Alexander in preservation by the new owner at the the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.
It was purchased by its current owner in 1988 and transferred initially to Fleetwood, and then onto Southport in 1993. Alexander’s restoration was completed at Southport in 1994 where it spent a number of years working on the demonstration line.
In the June 1996, Alexander paid a short visit to Riversway prior to the Ribble Steam Railway occupation of the site. After working a number of demonstration trains to celebrate the Maritime Festival, Alexander was despatched on hire to the East Anglian Railway Museum, where it saw a number of year’s use.
After being taken out of service pending further investigations into tubeplate wastage, Alexander returned to Ribble Steam Railway in July 2002 for repair work. The locomotive is current on display in the museum building.
|1865 at Southall Gas Works – February 1957|
|1865 at the Ribble Steam Railway – June 2005|
|1865 Alexander at the Ribble Steam Railway-2012|