This locomotive was built in 1926 by Andrew Barclay and was delivered for the Scottish Gas Board and spent most of its working life at Granton Gas Works in Edinburgh.
The locomotive was surplus to requirements by 1973 and it was transported to the Strathspey Railway before being acquired by the Lochty Private Railway.
It was restored to full working order by Lochty Private Railway (LPR) and was put to good use there until its closure in 1992.
The LPR was unusual among preserved railways as it was a privately run operation with public running days. The LPR line ran for about 1 mile between Lochty and Knightsward on the former North British Railway Lochty freight branch from Leven in Fife. The line had been closed by British Railways to freight traffic in August 1964, but the section from Lochty to Knightward reopened in 1967 as an enthusiast operated line. The LPR crossed the estate of landowner and steam enthusiast Mr J.B Cameron It was run by volunteers and operated between 1967 and 1992 when it closed for good with the track removed. Most of the locomotives and rolling stock was moved into storage at Leven under the care of the Kingdom of Fife Railway Society and are still there.
In 2001 the Fife Heritage Railway (the operating name chosen by the Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society) acquired the Kirkland marshalling yard which covered 21 acres. Work was then undertaken on landscaping, track laying and the construction of a two lane engine shed which enabled the site to be utilised in 2003.
The locomotive returned to steam in 2016 and remains on the Fife Heritage Railway at Methil.
|1890 at Boat of Garten on the Strathspey Railway – April 1980|