This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1928 for use by Clyde Valley Electric Power Co at the Clyde Mill power station. It spent its entire working life there.
Clyde’s Mill (or Clydesmill) Power Station was a coal fired electricity generating station on the Clyde at Cambuslang, established about 1903. It was extended progressively, and eventually had an installed electrical output capacity of 264MW. The main parts of the station were closed in the 1970s, and taken down in 1982, leaving a solitary gas turbine set, itself demolished in 2002.
The locomotive was donated to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society (SRPS) by the South of Scotland Electricity Board in 1970. It was acquired in good working order, and transferred to the SRPS former depot in Falkirk by running light engine
It is now on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway where it is on static display.
|Andrew Barclay 1937 at the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway – April 2017|