JN Derbyshire’ was built at the Caledonia works of Andrew Barclay & Sons in Kilmarnock in 1929. It is a Barclay saddle tank with 12″ cylinders. The locomotive was purchased by the Carlisle Plaster & Cement Company (now British Gypsum) and worked at their Cocklakes Works, near Cumwhinton.
It was purchased upon retirement, along with a number of sister locomotivess, and was taken to Steamtown, Carnforth for preservation. It was named Jane Derbyshire for some time whilst at Steamtown – but the original title has now been restored.
The locomotive arrived at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in July 2005, and due to the fantastic external condition of the engine, is displayed in the museum building. There are no immediate plans to return the locomotive to steam.