This locomotive was built in 1941 by Andrew Barclay for a price of £3,290. It is one of three locomotives built to the specification of Stanton Ironworks. It was originally on loan to Stanton from the Ministry of Supply but was finally purchased by Stanton in 1947.
On 1st January 1950 ownership passed to Stewarts and Lloyd, when they brought the quarries from Stanton ironworks.
From new the locomotive was deployed at Glendon North Quarry where it remained until April 1957 when it was loaned to Glendon East Quarry for about seven months. It then returned to Glendon North and was put into storage. In 1961 it was sent back to Glendon east Quarry where it was withdrawn from service in the following year and replaced by diesel power.
During its working life the locomotive carried the name Swordfish after a submarine Swordfish, a Class 4 boat (S Class), that was launched in November 1931 as fleet number N61, and lost in action in 1940 off Ushant. As an early casualty in the War, it was assumed Swordfish and sister Salmon (Andrew Barclay Works No 2139), were named after submarines in a spirit of patriotism. Salmon was named in memory of S Class submarine HMS Salmon that was lost with all hands in July 1940.
Between October 1955 and March 1956 the locomotive received a major overhaul at the quarry, acquiring the boiler from a another Andrew Barclay locomotive Works No 1457). At this time it lost its name and gained the Stewarts and Lloyd’s fleet number 84.
In August 1962 the locomotive was sold to Goodman Brothers of New Bradwell who intended to export it. The deal fell through, and so the engine remained in Goodman’s yard until August 1980 when it was delivered to the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre at Quainton, having being purchased by some Quainton Railway Society members.
During its stay in the scrap yard a great deal of damage was caused to the engine and many parts were lost. However, rebuilding was still considered possible, even if it would be an expensive and long drawn out process.
Swordfish originally left Quainton for the Rutland Railway Museum, before moving to the Swindon & Cricklade Railway.
The locomotive returned to steam and entered service at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway in July 2016 after a ten-year restoration program.
In April 2022 it was reported that the locomotive had been purchased by Ricky Plummer and is now based at Quainton Road.