The locomotive which was built by Andrew Barclay in 1942 as works number 2139 spent its working life with Stewarts & Lloyds, based at both Harlaxton and Woolsthorpe ironstone quarries.
It was named SALMON in memory of HMS Salmon that was an S – Class Submarine that was lost with all hands in July 1940. Initially preserved at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, then at the Rutland Railway Museum, in 2000 the locomotive moved to the Swindon and Cricklade Railway where it was restored again to operational condition.
The locomotive then moved to the Royal Deeside Railway.
At the end of 2018 the locomotive was taken out of service as the ten year boiler certificate expired.