This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1947 and spent its working life of 23 years at the Kilnhurst Tar Works of Yorkshire Tar Distillers near Swinton in Rotherham.
It was taken out of service in 1970 after which it was stored at Tinsley in Sheffield where they were to remain for some 35 years until being acquired on long term loan by the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association who had agreed to restore it.
The locomotive arrived at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in October 2005 in a very filthy condition as the method of keeping it intact was to pour lorry sump oil on it from time to time. This primitive approach was effective.
The locomotive steamed again for the first time in preservation in October 2012.
It is currently operational on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway