This locomotive was built by Andrew Barclay in 1946. It was ordered for use in the Far East but as the war in the Far East ended before the locomotive was completed it was instead delivered new to the Royal Navy Dockyard in Chatham, Kent. It was originally given the Admiralty designation M.E.D Yard No. 9 (M.E.D. referring to the Mechanical Engineer’s Department) but was changed to Yard No 417 later.
As 417 it remained at Chatham until 1972 although it was last steamed at the Navy Open Day in 1971.
In June 1972 the locomotive was moved to the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) after being purchased by a SVR Director.
The locomotive was steamed on arrival at Bridgnorth and recorded 4 miles in use during 1972. It was scheduled to be repainted in London, Chatham and Dover Railway livery and due to its small size was intended for footplate rides and other light duties only. However no further mileage was recorded before the locomotive was sold in spring of 1975 and moved to the Chasewater Railway.
It was based on the Chasewater Railway for many years and was steamed on a regular basis between 1976 and 1982.
The locomotive then moved to Ministry of Defence depot at Long Marston which at the time was the base for the Stratford & Broadway Railway Society.
In late 2009 the locomotive returned to Chatham Dockyard where it is now based as part of the Chatham Historic Dockyard Railway. The locomotive is currently being restored.
|2220 at Chatham Docks – April 2018|