This locomotive was built in 1947 by Andrew Barclay to work at the Vale Paper Mill of Cooke & Nuttal Ltd where it was the only sole locomotive and it became Douglas No 1.
The Vale Mill paper mill was first established in 1862 but did not have a rail connection until some time after 1900 when links to the main line at Horwich was established.
Rail traffic to the mill ceased in 1967 or 1968 when construction on the M61 motorway between Horwich and Preston. It was intended that the rail link would be reinstated but the nearest the replacement bridge came to being used was as a makeshift engine shed for the locomotive when it was languishing out of use prior to being purchased for preservation.
The locomotive is believed to be at West Coast Railways at Carnforth after having moved there when the depot was known as Steamtown.
|2230 at Cooke and Nuttall Horwich – March 1966|
|2230 at Steamtown, Carnforth – July 1989|