This locomotive was built in 1952 by Andrew Barclay for the National Coal Board (NCB) at East Hetton Colliery at Sedgefield in County Durham where it became No 22. When it was first delivered and for its first eleven years of operation it ran as National Coal Board No 54.
Fishburn coking plant was built in 1954 alongside the colliery to produce high grade coke for industry and a coke for the domestic market called Sunbrite as well as other by products from the coking process such as town gas which was supplied directly to the nearby Winterton Hospital and to the national grid.
Fishburn Colliery closed in 1975 and the Coke works about ten years later. The locomotive left there in 1973 and moved to Blackhall Colliery on the Durham coast before moving to Fishburn Coke Works in May 1974.
The locomotive moved to the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway where in 1997 it hauled the first works train to Bolton Abbey before being involved in the opening services in May of that year.
Due to it having a short wheelbase it is prone to rough riding. It also has a limited coal capacity and these factors made it unsuitable for regular use hauling passenger trains on the line.
The locomotive was taken out of service in 2000 after its boiler certificate expired.
In 2008 the ownership of the locomotive changed and it was quickly stripped down for an overhaul. The boiler was removed and the firebox taken out and sent away for use as a pattern for the new one.
The locomotive was still undergoing an overhaul in the summer of 2020. In November of that year the boiler passes an out of frames steam test.