On loan from National Museums Scotland. Externally restored for display.
Built 1953, Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co. Works No.2335.
This locomotive was delivered new in 1953 to the NCB Waterside system near to Dalmellington. Originally numbered 8, it was renumbered by the Ayrshire Area after 1963.
The boiler smokebox is fitted with a Giesl ejector to improve steaming and to allow poor quality coal to be used.
The NCB system at Waterside served the coal mines which were originally developed to serve the Dalmellington Iron Company ironworks at Dunaskin. There were several mines and an extensive network of railways. The blast furnaces closed in 1921, but the mines continued in production. Two pits survived into the 1970s, Minnivey and Pennyvenie, the latter 3 miles from the washery at Dunaskin. Steam operation finished when Pennyvenie Colliery closed in 1978. The Dunaskin (Waterside) site is now the headquarters of the Ayrshire Railway Preservation Group who have a fine collection of industrial steam and diesel locomotives.
The locomotive is owned by the National Museums Scotland who have loaned it to the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway where it is awaiting restoration.
|2335 at Waterside Colliery|
|2335 at Waterside Colliery – April 1973|
|2335 at Boness on opening day – June 1981|
|2335 at the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway – June 2014|