This locomotive was built by the Andrew Barclay company in 1900 and was delivered new to John Watson Ltd at the Eddlewood Colliery at Hamilton.
In 1916 an accident occurred which resulted in the death of five miners when an old shaft at the colliery, which was being worked from the Neisland Colliery, collapsed.
The locomotive later worked at Polkemmet Colliery at Whitburn in West Lanark where it hauled coal to the BR exchange sidings at Polkemmet Moor.
Polkemmet Colliery closed in 1984.
The locomotive was acquired for preservation by the Cambrian Railway at Oswestry where it remains in an unrestored condition.
|885 at NCB Polkemmet, West Lothian – August 1973|
|885 near the former Cambrian Railway works at Oswestry – October 1995|
|885 at the Cambrian Heritage Railway atOswestry – November 2016|