This locomotive was built in 1952 by the Yorkshire Engine Company, to the Hunslet 48150 design, and was supplied new to the Appleby-Frodingham steelworks at Scunthorpe. It represents one of the last two examples of the robust modern six-wheel steam locomotives used extensively by the United Steel Companies of which Appleby-Frodingham was a part.
It ran at the Appleby-Frodingham steelworks as No 9.
It was replaced at the steelworks by diesel traction in the 1960s and sold to the National Coal Board (NCB).
The NCB deployed it at Clipstone Colliery near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire.
When it finished its working life in industry the locomotive was presented to the National Coal Mining Museum. It was subsequently loaned to a number of sites and spent a few years at the Barrow Hill Roundhouse where some restoration work was undertaken befoe the locomotive returned to its owners.
The National Mining Museum have now loaned the locomotive to Rocks by Rail, the Living Ironstone Museum at Cottesmore. This is an appropriate location as the locomotive is from the same batch as those delivered new to Exton Park which operated at the Cottesmore site.
|2521 at Rocks By Rail – November 2014|