1 Gazelle 0-4-2WT Shropshire & Montgomery

Gazelle NRM York June 2012.jpg

Power ClassificationUnclassified
Introduced1893
DesignerDodman, Lynn
CompanyShropshire & Montgomery Railway
Weight5t 6cwt
Driving Wheels2ft 3ins
Boiler Pressure60psi
CylindersInside – 4in x 9in
Tractive Effort305lbf
Valve Gear

1 Gazelle was originally built as a 2-2-2WT in 1893 by Alfred Dodman & Co at King’s Lynn to a design produced by S Stone of the Great Eastern Railway. The original owner was William Burkitt who had private running rights over the Midland & Great Northern and Great Eastern Railways and he used Gazelle on his business trips as a seed and corn dealer.

When four years old, on 25 July 1897 it travelled from King’s Lynn to Chesterfield (105 miles) from Lincoln via the newly opened Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast Railway, in 5hr 10min, and after a 3hr 40min layover at Chesterfield it returned to King’s Lynn, making an additional stop at Spalding, and taking 5hr 25min. The trip conveyed Gazelle’s then owner, William Burkitt, an amateur locomotive enthusiast (who was twice Mayor of Lynn) to Chesterfield where he had business interests.

It was sold in 1910 to T W Ward, a dealer from Sheffield, who sold it to Colonel Stephens in the following year.

It was rebuilt as 0-4-2WT in 1911 by W G Bagnall Ltd when it also gained an enclosed cab.

Gazelle’s main claims to fame must be to have been one of the smallest steam locomotives to be built to the standard rail gauge, and also probably the only the only one to be built in the county of Norfolk.  It was also one of the cheapest, at only £250.

During the Second World War the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway was taken over by the War Department because of the number of armaments factories which it served. In 1950 the entire stock of the Shropshire & Montgomery Railway (consisting of 1 Gazelle and three ex- London North Western Railway Coal Tanks) was taken over by the Western Region of British Railways and all the locomotives were promptly withdrawn without being renumbered.

After withdrawal Gazelle was saved and was sent to the Transportation Centre of the Royal Engineers at Longmoor in Hampshire in 1950 where it was placed on display on the edge of the parade ground. When the Longmoor Military Railway closed in 1970 Gazelle was reclaimed by the Science Museum and was displayed at York Railway Museum for the next 25 years and the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley.

In 1997 Gazelle moved to Tenterden where it was put on display.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
Colonel Stephens Railway Museum at Tenterden.On static displayNational Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1975-7010}

Gazelle NRM York June 2012.jpg
Gazelle at the  NRM York – June 2012
Gazelle on display in the Colonel Stephens Railway Museum at Tenterden on the Kent & East Sussex Railway – June 2017


Return to Locomotives

Return to GWR

National Railway Museum Collection