1572 Woolmer  0-6-0ST (WD 74)

Avonside 1572 at Milestones Museum - June 2016.jpg

This locomotive was built by Avonside Engine Company Ltd of Bristol in 1910 for use on Woolmer Instructional Military Railway.

The railway had been established in order to train staff for using railways overseas to supply ammunition, troops and essential supplies. From 1933 tThe railway connected to the mainline at Liss on the Waterloo to Portsmouth line.

In 1935 the railway was renamed as the Longmoor Military Railway.

The locomotive was preserved at the Royal Engineers Transport Museum at Longmoor from September 1954 until it was moved to the Army School of Mechanical Transport at Leconfield on Humberside in July 1977.

In November 1979 the locomotive was moved again – this time it went to the National Railway Museum at York. The locomotive relocated to the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley on Humberside in March 1983.

More recently Woolmer has been loaned to the Milestones Living History Museum in Hampshire.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
National Railway Museum – On loan to Milestones Living History Museum in HampshireOn static displayNational Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{2008-7159}

1572 as WD74 Woolmer on display at Longmoor – 1966
Avonside 1572 as WD74 Woolmer on display at Longmoor - September 1968.jpg
1572 as WD74 Woolmer on display at Longmoor – September 1968
Avonside 1572 at the NRM York - June 1980.jpg
Avonside 1572 at the NRM York – June 1980
Avonside 1572 at the Milestones Museum in Basingstoke - October 2015.jpg
Avonside 1572 at the Milestones Museum in Basingstoke – October 2015
Avonside 1572 at Milestones Museum - June 2016.jpg
1572 at Milestones Museum – June 2016

Back to Avonside Engine Company

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection