158A MR Class 156  2-4-0  MR    

158a

 

Power Classification
Introduced 1866
Designer Matthew Kirtley (rebuilt by Samuel Johnson)
Company MR
Weight – Loco 41t 5cwt
               Tender t cwt
Driving Wheels 6ft 3ins
Boiler Pressure 140psi
Cylinders Inside – 18in x 24in
Tractive Effort 12,338lbf
Valve Gear Stephenson (slide valve)

 

The Midland Railway (MR) had a preference for building small locomotives which led to the construction of several classes of 2-4-0 engines designed for hauling passenger trains. The MR logic was that it was cheaper to build smaller engines and maintain and they inflicted less ware on the track. When the weight of trains got heavier then two locomotives were used to haul passenger trains. Sometimes this meant three engines were required to haul the heaviest freight trains. This policy was firmly in place when Kirtly became the Midland Railways first Locomotive Superintendent.

The first of the Kirtly 2-4-0 designs emerged from Derby works in 1856 and this was followed by five variations on the original design. The original locomotives all suffered because of deficiencies in the frame design which limited their usefulness and working lives. The following designs overcame these problems and proved to be very good performers with some lasting in service for 80 years.

158A was built by W Kirtley at Derby in 1866 as MR 158 as part of a batch of 29 locomotives built for express passenger workings to Kings Cross, then the London Terminus of the Midland Railway until St Pancras Station was built. 158A has been rebuilt at various dates including being rebuilt with a Johnson boiler and mountings in 1907 and re-numberd 2. It finally ended its days at Nottingham in 1947 as station pilot after 81 years of service after previously been relegated to suburban stopping trains.

21 of the locomotives came into LMS ownership in 1923.

It became 158A in 1896, 2 in 1907 which it retained with the LMS until 1934 when it was renumbered 20002.

Upon withdrawal from service as the station pilot at Nottingham in 1947 it was repainted in the pre 1907 MR style and kept at Derby works for many years.

The 81 year working life that the engine had is unusual for a tender engine. Because of its long life it is a bit of a mongrel due to the mang different design influences.

  • The frames etc are Kirtley
  • The boiler and cab Johnson
  • The smokebox is Deeley/Fowler
  • The chimney is Stanier

158A appeared at the Stephenson Centenary Celebrations at Chesterfield in 1948 and was a static exhibit in Birmingham during the centenary celebrations for New Street station in 1954.

In March 1965 it joined the collection of National Railway Museum locomotives in store at the old engine shed at Hellafield. It only stayed there until August 1967 when it was moved to the Midland shed at Leicester. The following year it was displayed in the short lived museum at Leicester.

It then went for preservation at Derby Locomotive Works and it remained there until it moved to the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley in 1975.

Another member of the 29 built (156A) was similarly preserved in 1930 but was cut up two years later.

158A is part of the National Collection and but is on loan to the Midland Railway Centre where it is on display in the Matthew Kirtley Exhibition Hall at Swanwick Junction.

 

Home Base Current Status Owner
On loan to the Midland Railway Centre Static display National Railway Museum NRM Object Number{1978-7016}

 

Back to Pre 1923 Grouping

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection