2861 was completed at Swindon in 1918 and spent most of its working life at Ebbw Junction shed at Newport as well as a number of years at Severn Tunnel Junction. It was withdrawn in 1963 and sent to Woodham Brothers for scrap. It became one of the Barry Ten which remained there until 1990, when following the retirement of Dai Woodham, Vale of Glamorgan Council took over the storage of the remaining ten locomotives. 2861 was the last locomotive to leave Barry when it departed in May 2013 by road transport to Llangollen. By that time 2861 looked a complete wreck.
In 2014 2861 was cut up at Llangollen after providing cylinder blocks for the building of a 4700 class locomotive 4709. Parts were also acquired by Andy Booth for his 2884 class locomotive 3855 and other parts were earmarked for the new build County class engine. In addition the cylinder blocks are being used on the 4700 class new build.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Llangollen Railway||Used to donate parts to other locomotives|