30064 was built in 1943 at Vulcan Iron Works in the USA.
It is doubtful that 30064 was ever used for its intended purpose as by 1946 it was stored at Newbury racecourse as war surplus material. It was then bought by the Southern Railway along with fourteen other members of the class at a bargain price as a replacement for the aging B$ class tank engines.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Southampton Docks|
|August 1966||Meldon Quarry|
30064 ended its days as Eastleigh Works shunter, and on withdrawal in July 1967 was sold to the Southern Loco Preservation Co. Ltd. It was handed over to the new owners in January 1968 at Knowle Junction (Fareham) and put into store at Droxford on the Meon Valley line. Further periods of storage at Fareham and Liss followed.
It was moved to the Bluebell Railway in October 1971.
It was last operational in 1984 and now requires extensive repairs before it can steam again but there appears to be no plans for an overhaul to be undertaken.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Bluebell Railway||Static display||Bluebell Railway|
- 30065 (WD 1968, SR 65, BR DS 237 & BR 30065)
- 30070 (WD 1960, SR 65, BR DS 238 & BR 30070)
- 30072 (US Army 1973, SR 72 & BR 30072)
- 30075 & 30076