30072 spent some time on the Continent after D-day. After returning to England it was stored at Newbury Racecourse station before transferring into Southern Railway stock in 1947. As British Railways 30072 it left Southampton in 1952, working for a short time on the London Midland Region at Willesden, then Cricklewood before returning to Southampton and then on to Guildford in February 1963 where it remained as shed pilot until withdrawn from service in July 1967. Following withdrawal from service it was stored at Salisbury from where it was bought by a member of The Keighly & Worth Valley Railway Preservation Society in August 1967 whilst at Salisbury awaiting scrapping.
30072, along with 41241, hauled the reopening train on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway in 1968.
After having a number of modifications including a larger coal bunker became the most frequently locomotive used on the line until 1973.
In 1976 it was converted to oil-firing but changed back to coal fuel in 1987.
The engine gained a British Railways boiler certificate in 1988 in order to participate in the 150th Anniversary celebrations of the London & South Western Railway at Woking. This gained it the distinction of being the first steam locomotive to work on the Southern Region east of Bastingstoke for over 20 years.
30072 was in need of significant investment to return it to working order, including replacement of a significant part, if not all, of the firebox along with other life expired parts. At the time the requirements of the KWVR had changed as the trains being hauled on the line are now heavier and begond the capability of smaller locomotives. Painted in its Re-opening Special livery, the locomotive was then placed on display as a static exhibit in Oxenhope Exhibition shed.
In August 2015 the locomotive was purchased by Andy Booth and moved to the Ribble Steam Railway where it is planned to restore it and have it operational for the 50th anniversary of the opening of the KWVR in 2018.
When at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, it hauled the re-opening special with 41241. It operated as an oil-burning locomotive from 1976 to 1987. No 30072 is currently on display in the Oxenhope museum requiring extensive firebox repairs and a major overhaul.
In August 2015 30072 was purchased by Andy Booth (the current owner of L&YR Class 27 no 1300) and is planned to be overhauled at the Ribble Steam Railway.
On completion of the overhaul it is planned that the locomotive will return to the KWVR in 2018.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Keighley & Worth Valley Railway||Under overhaul||Andy Booth|
|30072 on Guildford shed – April 1964|
|30072 at Haworth on the KWVR-1969|
|30072 at Oxenhope on the KWVR-2013|
|30072 at the Ribble Steam Railway – September 2016|
- 30064 (WD 1959, SR 64 & BR 30064)
- 30065 (WD 1968, SR 65, BR DS 237 & BR 30065)
- 30070 (WD 1960, SR 65, BR DS 238 & BR 30070)
- 30075 & 30076