3800  4-4-0   GWR   Churchward  County   3800 – 3839

County 4-4-0

 

Power Classification 5P
Introduced 1904 – 1912
Designer Churchward
Company GWR
Weight – Loco 55t 6cwt
               Tender 36t 15cwt
Driving Wheels 6ft 8.5ins
Boiler Pressure 200psi superheated
Cylinders Two outside – 18in x 30in
Tractive Effort 20,530lbf
Valve Gear Stephenson (piston valve)

 

This was a Churchward 4-4-0 design which used standard components from his 4-6-0 Saint class and were thus a shortened version of the Saint class. They were the last 4-0-0 design introduced on the GWR.

 Saint.jpg  

Saint class introduced by Churchward in 1902

 County 4-4-0  

County class introduced by Churchward in 1904

3800 County of Middlesex was completed in May 1904 and was followed by a further nine that year. In 1906 a further twenty were built at Swindon. The last batch of ten appeared in 1911/12.

The last batch built were fitted with superheaters and top feed.

The locomotives were designed for express passenger work.

The design views on the success of the class vary. They were considered to be rough riders they were effective locomotives and completed high mileages in their short lives. 3836 County of Warwick accumulated 1,044,235 miles by the time of its withdrawal from service after a service life of less than 30 years.

The County Class used the same cylinders and motion as Churchward’s six-coupled locomotives, and required the same mass to counterbalance the reciprocating parts of the motion. However the weight required had to be divided between four driving wheels rather than six. The heavier balance weights produced a high level of wheel hammer blow; at 6 revolutions per second the hammer blow was 8 tons, compared with the 3.6 tons of the inside-cylindered City Class and the 6.4 tons of the six-coupled Saint Class.

The 4-4-0 County became the basis of the 4-4-2T design which was introduced

 

 County 4-4-0  

County class introduced by Churchward in 1904

 County tank  

County tank introduced by Churchward in 1905

The first withdrawal from service of one of the locomotives occurred in 1930. All were withdrawn by 1933.

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives

New Build

 

Back to New Build

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives