3F 47260 – 47681 0-6-0T LMS & SDJR Fowler Jinty

Jinty

 

Power Classification 3F
Introduced 1924 – 1931
Designer Fowler
Company LMS   (47310-16  SDJR)
Weight 49t 10cwt  (47310-16 46t 3cwt)
Driving Wheels 4ft 7ins
 Boiler Pressure 160psi
Cylinders Inside – 18in x 26in
Tractive Effort 20,835lbf
Valve Gear Stephenson (slide valves)

 

Johnson designed the 1F (41660) class after coming to the Midland Railway in 1873. They were the Midlands standard type of shunting engine. Between 1874 and 1899 280 engines were built at Derby and by outside contractors Neilson, of Glasgow and Vulcan Foundry). In 1907 they were renumbered in the series 1620-1899.

A further sixty locomotives were built by Vulcan Foundary to a slightly enlarged design in 1899-1902. These were numbered 1900-1959. Many of them were fitted with condensing apparatus for working over the Metropolitan widened lines and they were subsequently spent most of their working lives in the London area.

The engines were built with round topped boilers and enclosed cabs. Between 1919 and 1942 they were all rebuilt with Belpaire boilers and a raised cab roof. They were renumbered 7200-7259 in 1934.

 47200 47200 class introduced by Johnson on the MR in 1899
 Jinty 47260 class introduced by Fowler on the LMS in 1924

After the 47200 class engines were rebuilt with Belpaire boilers the design was adopted by the LMS after grouping as a standard shunting design. The engines were known as Jinties but the origins of this name are not known despite many theories being put forward. They differed from the preceding class in having larger smokeboxes and increased capacity tanks and bunkers.

Four hundred and fifteen engines were built between 1924 and 1931, plus another seven for the SDJR. They were built by a number of outside contractors and they were intended to replace the large number of varied shunting engines inherited by the LMS.

The engines were numbered 7100-7156 and 16400-1764 until 1934. Apart from the War Department locomotives, and two engines which were sold to the NCC in Northern Ireland in 1944 (and regauged to the 5 feet 3 inch gauge) which are detailed below all of the locomotives were taken into BR stock on nationalisation in 1948.

Several of the class were later used as departmental engines by BR. Apart from shunting, some engines were used on North London passenger services and others based at Bromsgrove for banking on the Lickey Incline.

47477, 47478, 47479, 47480, 47481, 47655 and 47681 were fitted for push-pull train working on the Western Region. They were allocated to Upper Bank depot which was transferred from Midland Region to Western Region ownership in 1950. Some of these also spent time at Swansea Victoria and Swansew East Dock.

47310-16 were built in 1929 for the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway. They were numbered 19-25 and they became part of LMS stock in 1930.

On the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 they were initially chosen as the standard shunting locomotive for the War Department, but later the more modern Hunslet “Austerity” 0-6-0ST was chosen in preference. Nevertheless, eight engines were transferred to the War Department in 1940 for overseas use. Five of these engines returned to Britain from France in 1948, complete with bullet holes in the tanks. 47659 had carried the name CORSAIR while in France. 47589 was carrying a chimney from a GWR Dean Goods 0-6-0 when it returned.

Two, 7456 and 7553, were converted to the 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm) Irish broad gauge in 1944 and 1945 for use on Northern Counties Committee lines in Northern Ireland, becoming the NCC Class Y, and numbered 18 and 19. The engines were reboilered by the LMS in 1944, just before delivery to the NCC in August. The conversion to 5 ft 3 in gauge was simply done by reversing the wheels and renewing the tyres and crank pins. Their frames were not altered at all and, possibly due to the light nature of their work, the engines do not seem to have suffered from widening the gauge.

Designated Class Y, the engines were at first used on local trains to Carrickfergus but this practice was discontinued when it was discovered that the bearings were inclined to run hot. A test train of thirty wagons of coal was worked by No.19 from Belfast to Ballyclare Junction without any difficulty. No.18 worked a similar train but had trouble with lubrication. Subsequently, they were put to work on the Belfast Harbour Commissioners’ lines at Belfast docks where despite their relatively long wheel base they could negotiate a 4 chain (80 metre) curve if they proceeded slowly.

Altogether No.18 ran 219 441 miles on the NCC and a total of 612 266 miles in its life. A suspect crank pin led to its early withdrawal in 1956. No.19 ran 667 521 miles altogether, of which 291 971 were on the NCC. It lasted until 1963 although not doing much work in its final year.

In late Spring 1960 the Ulster Transport Authority acquired two 0-6-4Ts from the former Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway, which took over duties on Belfast docks.

A total of 412 thus entered British Railways stock in 1948, rising to 417 by the end of the year.

47260 class locomotives were to be found all over the Midland Region on shunting duties which included station pilot work. Five of the class were deployed in Scotland around the Glasgow area with most spending time at Polmadie. On the Western Region there were a small number in the Swansea area of which some were fitted for push-pull working. In addition there were a very few allocated to Bath Green Park and Gloucester Barnwood. Some were utilised in old LMS depots in Yorkshire that in BR days transferred to the North Eastern Region. The odd one was also to be seen on the Eastern Region at places like Tilbury, Spittal Bridge, New England and Stratford. None were deployed on the Southern Region.

Number in Service.

Built Withdrawals No. in Service
BR Numbers Quantity
1924 47260-301

  42

     42

1925 47302-9

    8

     50

1926 47317-435 & 47452-60

128

   178

1927 47436-51, 47461-66, 47472-77 & 47542-49

  36

   214

1928 47310, 47467-71, 47478-541, 47550-86 & 47592-640

156

   370

1929 47311-16, 47587-91 & 47641-66

  37

   407

1931 47667-81

  15

   422

1932-39

   422

1940 To War Department

     8

   414

1941-44

   414

1944 Sold to NCC

     2

   412

1945-47

   412

1948 Returned from France

    5

   417

1949-58

   417

1959

   25

   392

1960

   48

   344

1961

   34

   310

1962

   75

   235

1963

   40

   195

1964

   49

   146

1965

   63

     83

1966 Incl 47445 sold to NCB

        79

       4

1967

     4

       0

  • 47260-79, 47377-426 and 47467-516 were built by Vulcan Foundary Ltd.
  • 47280-94 and 47317-76 were built by the North British Locomotive Company Ltd.
  • 47295-309, 47427-51 and 47542-91 were built by the Hunslet Engine Co Ltd.
  • 47310-6, 47452-66 and 47592-601 were built by W G Bagnall Ltd. of Stafford.
  • 47517-41 and 47602-66 were built by Beardmore Ltd. These had rectangular works plates rather than the normal oval plate on the bunker.
  • 47667-81 were built at Horwich.
  • In 1940 eight (47589, 47607, 47611, 47613, 47617, 47659, 47660 and 47663) were transferred to the War Department and sent to France. Five (47589, 47607, 47611, 47669 and 47660) of these returned in 1948.
  • In 1944 47456 and 47553 were sold for use on the Northern Counties Committee lines in Northern Ireland and converted to 5 feet 3 inch gauge for working in Ireland.
  • In 1966 47445 was sold to the National Coal Board for work at one of its collieries near Wakefield.
  • Four (47313, 47383, 47534 and 47629) of the class were withdrawn from Westhouses in 1967. 47383 had however been originally withdrawn in December 1966 whilst at Newton Heath but was reinstated in February 1967. Thus only three net withdrawals from Westhouses took place.
  • 47531 was withdrawn in February 1967 from Lostock Hall.
  • 47289 was withdrawn in December 1966 at Sutton Oak, then reinstated in February 1967 at Westhouses before going to the NCB at Williamthorpe Colliery the same month from where it finally ended its service in October 1967.
47565 Crewe August 1965.jpg 47565 on station pilot duties at Crewe-August 1965. It was withdrawn from service at Crewe South in April 1966 and scrapped in September 1966.
47612 Workington Nov 1965.jpg 47612 on Workington shed-November 1965. It had spent most of its working life based at Northampton but withdrawn from service at Workington in May 1966 and scrapped in December 1967.
47201 Carnforth March 1966.jpg 47201 at Carnforth-March 1966. Next to 47201 is Ivatt 2-6-0 46400. It was not officially allocated to Carnforth. In March 1966 it was transferred from Lostock Hall (where it arrived the previous month from Fleetwood) to Agecroft. It was withdrawn from service whilst allocated to Patricroft in October 1966.
47531 Kingmoor Jan 1966.jpg 47531 on Carlisle Kingmoor shed-January 1966. 47531 was officially allocated to Workington in August 1965 and remained so until transferred to Lostock Hall in December 1966. It was withdrawn from service at Lostock Hall in February 1967 and scrapped in March 1967.
47531 Kingmoor July 1966.jpg 47531 on Carlisle Kingmoor shed-July 1966
47641 Kingmoor July 1966.jpg 47641 on Carlisle Kingmoor shed-July 1966. 47641 was withdrawn from service at Carlisle Kingmoor in December 1965 but was not scrapped until February 1968.
47641 Kingmoor August 1967.jpg 47641 on Carlisle Kingmoor shed-August 1967

 

Preservation

Due to their large numbers, late withdrawals and renowned performances, nine of these engines (plus a spare set of frames and a boiler from 47564) have been preserved. They are most suited to a further working life and many were restored within years of leaving the scrap heap. Today only 47445 and 47564 have never steamed beyond their old BR days, though the latter isn’t technically a preserved locomotive.

Back to LMS

Back to Locomotives