47357 built in Glasgow in 1926 by the North British Locomotive Company Ltd. and entered service as LMS number 16410. It was renumbered 7357 in 1934.
Under BR it was numbered 47357 and was first allocated to Willesden and then to Liverpool Edge Hill in April 1950 where it was withdrawn from service in December 1966. It was then sold to Woodham Brothers scrapyard at Barry and arrived there in November 1967. It left there in July 1970 after it was purchased by the Midland Railway Trust and moved to Derby for restoration work.
47357 got some fame for being the last steam train to be restored at Derby works and was also the first Jinty to enter service at Buttersley in June 1973.
The 3F moved back to the Midland Railway Centre with the LMS running number of 16440.
After 47357 did sterling service at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley the locomotive was withdrawn for a major overhaul, but unfortunately due to the cost involved the locomotive is awaiting overhaul in a non operational condition. An appeal was set up in 2011 to raise funds to enable the work required to be undertaken.
In 2017 the boiler was sent to the North Norfolk railway for contract overhaul. The axleboxes were whitemetalled at the Great Central Railway. It is hoped that the engine will return to steam in 2018.
The date of its return to service was later put back as it was discovered that the cylinder blocks will need to be replaced. The boiler that was intended to be fitted to the locomotive was being overhauled at the North Norfolk Railway when the need for the new cylinder was discovered. As a result, the boiler will be fitted to classmate 47445 and work on 47357 will resume later.
In August 2020 it was announced that a contract had been signed with Ian Riley & Sons Ltd to overhaul the frames of the locomotive which was expected to be completed in six months. The frames were transported to Heywood in August and it is planned that they will be returned as a rolling chassis which will make it possible to fit the boiler at Butterley.
The locomotive will be outshopped in LMS Lined Maroon livery with the LMS crest and number 16440.
This locomotive is owned by Derby City Museums and Art Gallery and long term lease to the Midland Railway Trust.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Midland Railway Centre at Butterly||Undergoing overhaul||Derby City Museums and Art Gallery|
- 47279 (LMS 7119, LMS 7279 & BR 47279)
- 47298 (LMS 7138, LMS 7298 & BR 47298)
- 47324 (LMS 16407, LMS 7324 & BR 47324)
- 47327 (LMS 16410, LMS 7327 & BR 47324)
- 47383 (LMS 16466, LMS 7383 & BR 47383)
- 47406 (LMS 16489, LMS 7406 & BR 47406)
- 47445 (LMS 16528, LMS 7445 & BR 47445)
- 47493 (LMS 16576, LMS 7493 & BR 47493)
- 47564 (LMS 16647, LMS 7564 & BR 47564)