4003 Lode Star

4003 large.jpg

Lode Star was built in 1907 at a cost of £3,180 and it is the only surviving member of the class having been withdrawn from service in July 1951 having spent its entire life with BR based at Landore.  By this time it had covered 2,005,898 miles.

It was fitted with a superheater in 1911, the compensating spring gear was removed in 1927 and it was fitted with outside elbow steampipes in 1949.

Following withdrawal it was set aside at Swindon and in April 1962 it was put on display at the former Great Western Museum at Swindon.

It was moved to the National railway Museum at York in March 1992 but returned to the STEAM museum at Swindon between 2010 and 2014.

It is part of the National Collection and is housed in the National Railway Museum at York.

Home Base Current Status Owner
National Railway Museum – York Static display National Railway Museum NRM Object Number{1978-7027}
4003 Lode Star in National Railway Museum York-2005.jpg 4003 Lode Star at the National Railway Museum in York-2005

Back to 4000  4-6-0  GWR  Churchward  Star

Back to GWR

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection