4144 was built at Swindon in September 1946 and withdrawn, from Severn Tunnel Junction depot, in March 1965.
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Severn Tunnel Junction|
|November 1962||Severn Tunnel Junction|
During its service it carried out various duties ranging from banking trains through the Severn Tunnel to hauling passenger trains deep into the Welsh coalfield vallies.
It was sent to Woodham Bros. of Barry for cutting up. It survived there until it was bought jointly by the Society and one of its members in 1974. Its rebuild was completed in 1997 and it was used on the “Steam on the Met” in 1998.
The locomotive had the boiler removed for overhaul at Didcot in August 2010 and it is expected to return to service in 2015. In February 2015 its boiler was inspected in steam by the insurance company which included some running on the demonstration main line. In 2016 the boiler was lifted so that repairs to the firebox foundation ring could be undertaken.
It returned to service with a boiler ticket which is valid until 2025.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Didcot Railway Centre||Operational||Great Western Society|