5572 was built in 1929 and was almost the last produced (two from the end).
BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.
|January 1948||Bristol Bath Road|
|October 1948||Bath Spa|
|October 1948||Bristol Bath Road|
|February 1949||Bristol Bath Road|
|September 1953||Cardiff Cathays|
|February 1958||Newton Abbott|
|March 1958||Plymouth Laira|
|September 1960||St Blazey|
|April 1961||Plymouth Laira|
In its later years it moved to South Wales where, unusually for this class, it was equipped with auto-gear for working push-and-pull trains on the valley branch lines. Of the thirteen engines of this very useful class to have survived into preservation, 5572 is the only one so fitted.
It was withdrawn by BR in April 1962, being sent to Woodham Bros of Barry for breaking up. It was bought by the Society in August 1971, and sent to its Taunton depot, being partially restored there before coming to Didcot in 1977.
Having reached the end of its ten year boiler certificate, it is awaiting heavy repairs at Didcot Railway Centre.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Didcot Railway Centre||On static display||Great Western Society|