42500 (LMS 2500 & BR 42500)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 42500-at-barrow-hill-roudhouse-march-2015.-the-locomotive-behind-42500-is-5164.jpg

This was the first Stanier 2-6-4T engine to be built.

It was built at Derby, at a cost of £6,444, in 1934 for use on the London, Tilbury & Southend (LTS) section between Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness. It was withdrawn from service in June 1962 and became part of the National Collection having spent its entire working life based at Shoeburyness.

In 2015 it was moved, on loan, from its long term home at the National Railway Museum at York to Barrow Hill Roundhouse but in 2016 it returned to York where it is currently on static display.

Home BaseCurrent StatusOwner
National Railway Museum – YorkStatic displayNational Railway Museum

NRM Object Number{1978-7039}

42500 at Tilbury South.jpg
42500 at Tilbury South
42500 at unknown time and place – probably late 1950s
42500 at Bromley on a train to Thorpe Bay – February 1962
42500 at the National Railway Museum at York – September 2011
42500 in the National Railway Museum at York – July 2013
42500 at Barrow Hill Roudhouse – March 2015. The locomotive behind 42500 is 5164
42500 at Barrow Hill Roudhouse – March 2015
42500 in the NRM at York - August 2016.jpg
42500 in the NRM at York – August 2016

Back to 4MT  42500-42536  2-6-4T  LMS  Stanier  3 Cylinder

Back to LMS

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection