44027 (LMS 4027 & BR 44027)

4027 was built at Derby in 1924 by the LMS and became 44027 following the nationalisation of the railways and the formation of BR in 1948. It was the first LMS built member of the class.

BR motive power depot allocations since 1948.

Date Arrived Depot
January 1948 Bushbury
November 1958 Bescot
August 1963 Workington

Following withdrawal from service in November 1964 44027 spent some time stored at Carnforth before being stored at Preston Park near Brighton

It found a temporary resting place at Leicester’s Abbey Meadows pumping station pending being displayed in a new museum there. The museum project failed and the locomotive moved to the Midland Railway Centre in June 1975.

It then spent many years based at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley where it was returned to steam in December 1979 and made its first public appearance on 1st January 1980. 44027 operated for a number of years in the 1980s at Butterley.

In 1980 it took part in the cavalcade to mark the 150year celebrations at Rainhill.

In 2009 44027 moved to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway where it has been under restoration.

By October 2017 work on the bottom half of the locomotive at the Vale of Berkeley Railway was substantially complete.

Home Base Current Status Owner
Gloucester Warwickshire Railway Being restored National Railway Museum NRM Object Number{1978-7033}

Back to 44027-44606

Back to LMS

Back to Locomotives

National Railway Museum Collection