|Weight – Loco||56t 0cwt|
|Driving Wheels||5ft 3ins|
|Cylinders||Outside – 20in x 26in|
|Valve Gear||Stephenson (slide valves)|
Designed by Jones for the Highland Railway in 1894, fifteen engines were built by Sharp Stewart and they were the most powerful main line engines in the country at that time. Unusually for the introduction of a new type of locomotive all fifteen were ordered at the same time at a cost of £2,795 each. They were intended principally as freight engines, but were often called upon to work passenger trains during the summer season.
The class was numbered 103-117 on the Highland Railway and then 17916-17930 by the LMS and they were all withdrawn between 1929 and 1940.
103 (HR 103 and LMS 17916)
This engine earned its place in history by being the first 4-6-0 to appear in Britain when it was completed in September 1894.
103 was built by Sharp, Stewart & Co in 1894 at their Atlas Works in Springburn.
During its working life it was based at Inverness and Perth.
103 was renumbered LMS 17916 on Grouping in 1923 and was set aside for preservation in 1934 when it was taken out of service and stored at St Rollox. It was restored during 1935/36 as HR 103.
In 1959 the engine was restored to working order for working special trains as part of the Scottish Industries Exhibition. It was painted in Stroudley’s “improved engine green”, which was in fact a brilliant yellow colour. It hauled many enthusiasts’ trains for several years before finding a permanent resting place in Glasgow Transport Museum, only surviving former Highland Railway locomotive.
In 1966 it was presented to the Museum of Transport by British Railways. As 103 it is painted in the original colours of the Highland Railway.
|Home Base||Current Status||Owner|
|Glasgow Transport Museum||Static display||Glasgow Transport Museum|
|103 in the Glasgow Museum of Transport – October 1988|