Sharp, Stewart and Company was founded in Manchester in 1843.
In 1852 John Sharp who had been the senior partner retired and was replaced by Charles Patrick Stewart. The company changed its name to Sharp Stewart and Company. Thomas Sharp also retired and was succeeded by Stephen Robinson
In 1857 they produced their 1,000th locomotive.
In July 1858 seven workers were killed at the Atlas Works following an explosion there.
The company provided a number of 0-4-0 tender engines for the Furness Railway of which Number 20, built in 1863 has been restored to working order.
In 1862, the company began making larger engines, first some 4-6-0 saddle tank engines for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. By 1865 they were building 0-8-0s, again for India.
In 1888 the company moved to the works of the Clyde Locomotive Company in Springburn, Glasgow which they renamed Atlas works.
In 1889 a number of compounds were built for the Argentine Central Railway in 1889, some 4-4-0 and some 2-8-0.
In 1892 they received an order for seventy-five 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s from the Midland Railway.
In 1894 the company built fifteen 4-6-0 locomotives for the Highland Railway. These became known as the Jones Goods class. One locomotive (HR 103) has been preserved.
In 1900 Sharp, Stewart & C0 built fifteen class C locomotives (31711-31725) for the South East Coast railway. The only member of the class preserved was built at the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Longhedge Works at Battersea.
|1448||1863||Furness Railway No 20 BHSC No. 7||0-4-0ST||Ribble Steam Railway|
|1585||1865||Furness Railway No 25 BHSC No. 17||0-4-0ST||West Coast Railways|