4MT 42050 – 42299 & 42673 – 42699 2-6-4T LMS Fairburn

42050

 

Power Classification 4P  reclassified 4MT in 1948
Introduced 1945 – 1951
Designer Fairburn
Company LMS
Weight 85t 5cwt
Driving Wheels 5ft 9ins
Boiler Pressure 200psi superheated
Cylinders Outside – 19⅝ in x 26in
Tractive Effort 24,670lbf
Valve Gear Walschaert (piston valve)

The 2-6-4T design that was to become a BR standard many years later was first introduced on the LMS by Fowler in 1927 as a locomotive for general passenger train usage with the 42300 class. This was then developed by Stanier who introduced a three cylinder and taper boiler version in 1934 which became the 42500 class. In 1935 Stanier produced the 42425 class which had two cylinders.

The Fairburn version which had two cylinders was introduced in 1945 as the 42050 class engine.

Fairburn did not have a background of working with steam engines as he joined the LMS from English Electric Co in 1934 to be the Chief Electrical Engineer. He actively encouraged developments of design features to reduce shed servicing and increase the mileage between workshop visits to cope with the difficult conditions of wartime operations. Fairburn provided guidance later which aided the introduction of 0-6-0 diesel shunters.

The final development of this design was completed by Riddle with the introduction of the 80000 class BR standard locomotive in 1951.

 42395 Fowler Tank – 42395 onwards of 1933
 42425 Stanier 2 cylinder version – 1935

42425-94 and 42537-672

 42050 Fairburn – 1945

42050-299 and 42673-99

 80000 Riddle – 1951

80000-154

The Fairburn version introduced in 1945 was developed from the Stanier locomotives and had a shorter wheelbase and other minor modifications. They could be distinguished from Stanier’s engines by the gap in the running plate ahead of the cylinders. The Fairburn class continued to be built by BR until 1951 when the standard BR class was introduced.

The last few batches of engines (42066-42106) were built at Brighton railway works for service on the Southern Region of British Railways in 1950 and 1951, replacing earlier designs. The majority of these remained on the Southern Region throughout their working lives. Many of them were stationed at Stewarts Lane in Battersea, Dover and Ashford (Kent) for use on the South Eastern Section. One of the routes which became a favourite stamping ground was the Maidstone to Ashford line on which one notorious derailment of one of Maunsell’s River class had taken place at Bearsted.

Number in Service.

Built Withdrawals No. in Service
BR Numbers Quantity
1945 42200-17 & 42673-99

 45

  45

1946 42218-64

 47

  92

1947 42187-89 & 42265-99

 38

130

1948 42147-82 & 42190-99

 46

176

1949 42107-32 & 42183-86

 30

206

1950 42050-78, 42096-106 & 42133-46

 54

260

1951 42079-95

 17

277

1952-60

277

1961

    3

274

1962

  43

231

1963

  30

201

1964

  57

144

1965

  54

  90

1966

  48

  42

1967

  42

    0

  • 42066 – 106 were built at Brighton. The rest were built at Derby.

The 41 locomotives built at Brighton in 1950 and 1951 all entered service on the Southern Region allocated to five depots.

Tunbridge Wells

11

Stewarts lane

10

Brighton

  9

Ramsgate

  6

Dover Marine

  5

These were the only engines of this class to be allocated to the Southern Region and they were all reallocated to other regions by the end of 1959. The first three (one each to York, Heaton and Middlesbrough) moved to the Eastern Region in 1952 with a further four going to Gateshead in 1954.

The allocation of the class between regions of British Railway for the period when all of the class were in service shows the impact of the transfers from the Southern Region.

December 1951

December 1960

Western

    0

    1

 Southern

  41

    0

Eastern

  47

  37

Scottish

  93

  87

181

125

 Midland

  96

152

277

277

The one locomotive (42182) allocated to the Western Region spent some time at Landore, Swansea after arriving there from Chester in 1960. It moved on to Swansea East Dock the following year before having a brief period at Leamington Spa in 1962 before returning to the Midland Region at Willesden later that year.

The engines shown as allocated to the Eastern Region in 1951 includes depots in Yorkshire (mainly around Bradford and Leeds) that were then part of the Midland Region but later transferred to the Eastern Region. In addition to this there were 16 locomotives allocated to Tilbury, Plaistow and Shoeburyness. These remained the main areas on the Eastern where members of this class were based but they made brief visits to Newcastle and the North East coast at Whitby and Scarborough.

The Scottish based locomotives were largely based in the Glasgow area (including the Ayrshire Coast and along the West Coast main line). The largest allocation was to Polmadie in Glasgow. A few were allocated to St Margarets and Dalry Road in Edinburgh. The furthest north they were allocated were Perth and Aviemore where a small number were based for a very short time.

The Midland Region locomotives were to be found right across the region.

Withdrawals began in 1961 with the last 90 retired from service in 1966 and 1967.

Withdrawn From 1966

1967

Midland Bank Hall

   2

Barrow

   1

Birkenhead

   3

   1

Bolton

   4

Bushbury

   1

Tebay

   4

   3

Lostock Hall

   2

   3

Newton Heath

   1

Trafford Park

   1

   6

Wigan Springs Branch

   1

Eastern Huddersfield

   1

Leeds Holbeck

   2

   2

Low Moor

   5

 14

Normanton

   8

Wakefield

   4

   3

Scottish Beattock

   2

Carstairs

   5

Greenock Ladyburn

   5

Motherwell

   1

Polmadie

   3

St Margarets

   2

 48

 42

This class was amongst the last of the tank engines still to be working on the BR system. 42152 hauled the last steam train on the Eastern Region when it was in charge of the 4:18pm Bradford to Leeds passenger train on 1st October 1967. It reported touched a top speed of 74mph whilst doing so.

By the end of 1966 there were still 42 in use which represented about 44% of the total number of tank engines of all classes still in service. In addition to those included in the table below one J72 survived until withdrawn in October 1967 from Tyne Dock shed. This locomotive was a departmental service engine used for de-icing (69005 Dep58)

Class

Number Built When Built

Number in Service

41200

130 1946-52    8

42050

277 1945-51

 42

42425

206 1935-43

 15

47260

417 1924-31

   4

80000 155 1951-57

 25

82000

  45 1952-55

   2

 96

Accidents and Incidents

On 19 April 1955, locomotive 42073 was in collision with V2 60968 at Newcastle Central station, Northumberland. Both locomotives were derailed.

42134 at Workington-1965.jpg 42134 on Workington shed-January 1965.The locomotive was based at Barrow at this time before moving to Tebay in December 1966. It was withdrawn from service at Tebay in April 1967 and scrapped in December 1967.
42252 at Egremont-1966.jpg

42252 on former Furness Railway territory at Egremont-June 1966. The locomotive was allocated to Tebay in June 1966 before being transferred to Low Moor in April 1967. It was withdrawn from service in September 1967 and scrapped in April 1968

 

42055 at Low Moor-1966.jpg 42055 on Low Moor shed where it was then based-May 1966. It remained at Low Moor until withdrawn from service in June 1967. It was scrapped in November 1967.

Preservation

Back to LMS

Back to Locomotives