4MT   42300-42424   2-6-4T LMS Fowler

42300 a.jpg

42300 aa.jpg

Power Classification 4P reclassified 4MT in 1948
Introduced 1927-1934
Designer Fowler
Company LMS
Weight 86t 5cwt
Driving Wheels 5ft 9ins
Boiler Pressure 200psi superheated
Cylinders Two– 19in x 26in
Tractive Effort 23,125lbf
Valve Gear Walschaert (piston valve)

The class was introduced by Fowler in 1927 for general passenger train use. They were excellent and popular engines and became the first in a long line of 2-6-4T locomotives to be built.

The 42300 class had parallel boilers whilst all of the later designs had taper boilers. They also had straight tops to the tanks.

The class was originally designed with inside steam pipes, but most of them later were fitted with new cylinders with outside steam pipes.

The last 30 locomotives built (42395-42424) were fitted with side-window cabs.

 

42395 Fowler Tank – 42395 onwards of 1933
 42425 Stanier 2 cylinder version – 193542425-94 and 42537-672
 42050 Fairburn – 194542050-299 and 42673-99
 80000 Riddle – 195180000-154

 

Number in Service.

Built

Withdrawals No. in Service
BR Numbers Quantity
1927 42300-3

  4

    4

1928 42304-24

21

  25

1929

42325-74

50

  75

1930 42375-84

10

  85

1931 42385-423

39

124

1932 42424

  1

125

1933-58

125

1959

  5

120

1960

11

109

1961

22

  87

1962

37

  50

1963

16

  34

1964

20

  14

1965

12

    2

1966

  2

    0

Most of the class were used on longer-distance commuter trains from stations in London, Manchester and other large towns. A number were allocated to Oxenhope and Tebay and were used to bank heavy passenger and goods trains up the steep inclines on the West Coast Main Line. Some operated on the long trip from Shrewsbury to Swansea (Victoria).

Allocation of locomotives in service as at 1st of January.

1948

1960 1964

1966

London Midland Region

  92

  97

25

North Eastern Region

  17

  16   9

2

Scottish Region

  10

Western Region

    6

    7

125

120 34

2

London Midland Region
Alsager

    1

Annesley

    3

Barrow

    5

    9

  1

Birkenhead

  1

Bournville

    5

Brunswick

    1

Buxton

  10

    3

Carlisle Kingmoor

  2

Carnforth

  4

Chester

  2

Chester Northgate

    3

Crewe North

     1

Derby

     2

    1

Gorton

    4

  4

Kentish Town

    4

    5

Leicester Midland

    2

    2

Longsight

  10

    6

Macclesfield

    9

    6

Newton Heath

  1

Northampton

    1

Northwich

    6

Nottingham

    3

Oxenhope

    4

    4

Saltley

    2

    5

  4

Stafford

    4

    3

St Albans

    4

    2

Stockport Edgeley

    4

    7

  4

Stoke

    8

    9

  1

Tebay

    4

    4

  1

Trafford Park

    1

Uttoxeter

    2

    2

Watford

    2

Wigan

    2

Wigan Springs Branch

    2

Willesden

    2

    7

Woodford Halse

    3

  92

  97

25

North Eastern Region
Copley Hill

  1

Darlington

  1

Huddersfield

  11

    6   4

1

Leeds Holbeck     2   1

1

Low Moor

    3

    1

  1

Manningham

    2

Mirfield

    1

    3

Royston

    1

Sowerby Bridge

    3

Wakefield

  1

  17

  16   9

2

Scottish Region
Greenock Ladyburn

  10

  10

Western Region
Landore

    7

Swansea Victoria

    6

    6

    7

 

125

120 34

2

  • The North Easter Region Depots had almost all been part of the London Midland Region until September 1956. The exceptions was Copley Hill which was an Eastern Region depot until September 1956.
  • Annesley, Gorton and Woodford Halse were under Eastern Region control until it was transferred to the London Midland Region in February.
  • Carlisle Kingmoor was a Scottish Region depot until February 1958.
  • The last two survivors of the class were withdrawn in 1966. 42394 at Leeds Holbeck in June and 42410 at Huddersfield in September. 42394 had had a nomadic life as it spent many years at Swansea Victoria before moving to Birkenhead in 1962 and then Leeds Holbeck in January 1964. 42410 spent all of its working life based at Huddersfield.
42394a.jpg 42394 at Leeds Holbeck a month after it was withdrawn from service in June 1966 and scrapped in October. The Ivatt 2-6-0 43130 lasted until June 1967
42394aa.jpg 42394 at Leeds Holbeck a month after it was withdrawn from service in June 1966 and scrapped in October. The Ivatt 2-6-0 43130 lasted until June 1967

New Build

Back to LMS

Back to New Build

Back to Locomotives